Welcome to Balanced Rocks: Pictures and Stories

Beginning March 16,2010, I began a journey of balancing rocks. I hold to the practice of setting to balance at least five sculptures a day, sometimes, many more. Of these I take lots of pictures and videos. While conducting this adventure, I have been introduced to an incredible unfolding story. Additionally, I discovered this phenomenon is manifesting worldwide. As I post pictures and stories, I found many others similarly engaged and sharing their works. Additionally, as folks come upon me performing my work, many want to find out how this is done and try themselves. This blog shares this work in both pictures and stories. Enjoy


A seeming impossibility becomes possible

Rock Balancing: The Beginning

On a fine summer day, sometime in August, 2009, I was visiting family in Toronto. Like most folks spending summer in a large city, we used up as much time as we could finding outdoor events that would cool us. One afternoon, we headed to the Beaches section of East Toronto. After spending some time playing in a large sandbox in the shade with my grandkids and some of their newfound companions, we headed to the Boardwalk that extends from Balmy Beach to Kew Gardens. Ella accompanied me, Liam took off with his mom, Natalie. They ventured down the boardwalk, Ella and I headed onto the sand toward the water’s edge. Halfway there we encountered what looked like a small size Stonehenge.

About a dozen sculptures were gathered together in a rough circle. Each was a stack of two or three rocks balanced one on another. The tallest one was slightly taller than Ella, who was small average height for a five year older. All were in the neighborhood of three feet and four feet tall. What immediately jumped out was the precarious nature of the balancing. Most points of contact were miraculously slight. Most seemed to be standing on a point. Two more folks were witnessing this amazing display. We imagined that there must be small metal rods embedded at the point of contact, or else some kind of glue was used. Each of us peered from close low angles to detect what could account for this mystical display. Ella, not being so cautious, toppled one structure over. Luckily, it did not land on her.

I hurried over and picked up the fallen rock. I saw no evidence of a rod or glue. It indeed had been balanced on its pedestal. I lifted it up and tried to place it back where I reckoned it had been balanced. I cautioned Ella, to be careful and not upset any more sculptures and went about the task of finding balance. I was not successful and struggled immensely but did not find the magic spot where stability could be achieved. After a lengthy effort, an attractive Asian woman about my age approached and gently nudged me aside offering to demonstrate her work. She pointed to the spot she would set the stone upon. She called it by a foreign name. To me it looked like a slight dimple.

Placing the small end of the upper rock into that hollow, she deftly and quickly moved it around, slightly twisting and cajoling it into position. The sight of this slender woman with longish graying hair performing an intricate dance with a rock slightly larger than her head emanated calmness. It seemed only the ends of her fingers were used to achieve these small movements. Apparently, equilibrium was close. Shortly she was done and withdrew her palms which naturally assumed an open prayer posture. The rock I had grappled with was majestically resting in its previous stable state. She next went over and reset two other structures, I had not noticed were also amiss. I just took them to be part of the rubble strewn about the beach. Now all the display was standing and providing a small sense of order in our chaotic world.

I never got this woman’s name, but heard her story. She had set this display up for the purpose of taking pictures, one of which she hoped to use for a cover of a book she was publishing. Unfortunately not getting her name makes it difficult to find her book. But I carried away with me the sight of her presentation and the incredible feeling I had witnessed an amazing ethereal event. I also felt an urge to explore this practice.

Rock in the Snow

Rock in the Snow
January in Toronto

Saturday, August 16, 2008

The startle response. April 1976, Free Spirit Farm, Gainesville, FL

Our farm had a ten acre field behind our scattered buildings. It had a path going round it. Beyond the field on all sides was forest. Sometimes Phil used the path to race his dirt bike around. Other times folks would walk around the perimeter to achieve some quiet. One day Phil joined Armando and I for a walk. In the woods near the end of the field were a smattering of old junked vehicles. These appeared to be thirties and forties models. By the looks of them, they had been out here for quite some time.
Most of the cars were overturned and their parts rusting away and falling off. The ground around them was littered with pieces. Many parts were missing, obviously stripped off by salvage bandits. Overgrowth was beginning to swallow whatever remained. They also provided shelter and home for wild creatures. As we walked by this auto graveyard, Armando announced, “I going over there to take a leak,” as he pointed toward over to the overturned cars. Phil and I continued on the walk.
We were not too much farther along when we heard Armando’s startled shout, “Oh my God, What the fuck.” We turned around to see Armando in the classic pose of a man standing and urinating. He had one hand on his hip, the other on his penis. The only difference is he was holding this pose in midair and traveling backwards. I wondered what force could have propelled him in that direction. We returned to see what it was. Armando landed on the ground several feet from where he launched and finished his mission by the time we arrived. Then we noticed what had surprised him
There under the upside down hood coiled on a sand pile was a large majestic rattlesnake. In front of him the ground was slightly damp, most likely from a recent urine shower. Armando related how as he begin to piss, he looked down and spotted this snake in his urinal. Luckily the only one to startle and react was Armando. The snake was still enjoying his bask in the sun. We kept a safe distance and admired this handsome diamondback specimen.
We also noticed an opening to a burrow under the car that was most likely the snake’s abode. The next day I returned with a sketchpad and rendered a likeness of his majesty. The following day I returned to bid our neighbor a “Good Day” and discovered he had moved out. No doubt he was disturbed by all this human commotion and decided to seek a quieter neighborhood.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me, Part One

My photo
Rock Balancing: The Beginning. What began as a journal of my travels took a hiatus when I began to settle in Ithaca NY. In the meantime, I took up the practice of setting rocks to balance. I returned to my blog to begin recording this story

Part, The second

On Easter Sunday Morning, 2008, I made a decision to settle in the Ithaca New York area. At the same time, I decided to continue to post my blog, However, the stories now will come from the archive stored internally. These will be the stories I gathered while on previous journeys and never entrusted to paper. The date of each posting will not reflect the date of the story being related but will mark the date that narrative got inscribed.

Carry wood

Carry wood
33 years later

Part: The third

I took a brief hiatus from my daily blog writing. I did not know the direction it would take. part of me thought I would abandon it. It turns out I missed it. The old title "On the Road Again' is no longer apt. It appears I am settling. The travel stories will age to a point, when I will probably resusitiate them and do something with them. I dusted off some old stories and begin this new series.
Thr first is one was written two years ago. I edited it and begin again a series that is more apropos to someone settling in upper New York State. They are meant to warm, amuse, educate and sometimes inflame.