Welcome to Balanced Rocks: Pictures and Stories

Beginning March 16,2010, I began a journey of balancing rocks. I hold to the practice of setting to balance at least five sculptures a day, sometimes, many more. Of these I take lots of pictures and videos. While conducting this adventure, I have been introduced to an incredible unfolding story. Additionally, I discovered this phenomenon is manifesting worldwide. As I post pictures and stories, I found many others similarly engaged and sharing their works. Additionally, as folks come upon me performing my work, many want to find out how this is done and try themselves. This blog shares this work in both pictures and stories. Enjoy


A seeming impossibility becomes possible

Rock Balancing: The Beginning

On a fine summer day, sometime in August, 2009, I was visiting family in Toronto. Like most folks spending summer in a large city, we used up as much time as we could finding outdoor events that would cool us. One afternoon, we headed to the Beaches section of East Toronto. After spending some time playing in a large sandbox in the shade with my grandkids and some of their newfound companions, we headed to the Boardwalk that extends from Balmy Beach to Kew Gardens. Ella accompanied me, Liam took off with his mom, Natalie. They ventured down the boardwalk, Ella and I headed onto the sand toward the water’s edge. Halfway there we encountered what looked like a small size Stonehenge.

About a dozen sculptures were gathered together in a rough circle. Each was a stack of two or three rocks balanced one on another. The tallest one was slightly taller than Ella, who was small average height for a five year older. All were in the neighborhood of three feet and four feet tall. What immediately jumped out was the precarious nature of the balancing. Most points of contact were miraculously slight. Most seemed to be standing on a point. Two more folks were witnessing this amazing display. We imagined that there must be small metal rods embedded at the point of contact, or else some kind of glue was used. Each of us peered from close low angles to detect what could account for this mystical display. Ella, not being so cautious, toppled one structure over. Luckily, it did not land on her.

I hurried over and picked up the fallen rock. I saw no evidence of a rod or glue. It indeed had been balanced on its pedestal. I lifted it up and tried to place it back where I reckoned it had been balanced. I cautioned Ella, to be careful and not upset any more sculptures and went about the task of finding balance. I was not successful and struggled immensely but did not find the magic spot where stability could be achieved. After a lengthy effort, an attractive Asian woman about my age approached and gently nudged me aside offering to demonstrate her work. She pointed to the spot she would set the stone upon. She called it by a foreign name. To me it looked like a slight dimple.

Placing the small end of the upper rock into that hollow, she deftly and quickly moved it around, slightly twisting and cajoling it into position. The sight of this slender woman with longish graying hair performing an intricate dance with a rock slightly larger than her head emanated calmness. It seemed only the ends of her fingers were used to achieve these small movements. Apparently, equilibrium was close. Shortly she was done and withdrew her palms which naturally assumed an open prayer posture. The rock I had grappled with was majestically resting in its previous stable state. She next went over and reset two other structures, I had not noticed were also amiss. I just took them to be part of the rubble strewn about the beach. Now all the display was standing and providing a small sense of order in our chaotic world.

I never got this woman’s name, but heard her story. She had set this display up for the purpose of taking pictures, one of which she hoped to use for a cover of a book she was publishing. Unfortunately not getting her name makes it difficult to find her book. But I carried away with me the sight of her presentation and the incredible feeling I had witnessed an amazing ethereal event. I also felt an urge to explore this practice.

Rock in the Snow

Rock in the Snow
January in Toronto

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jumping a train, September 1975: Spanish Fork, UT

In my pack I carried a few avocados, some coffee, oatmeal, powdered milk and a small tin pot. I also held a six pack of Coors beer. I was intent upon carrying this to David in Florida. It was his favorite and not available there yet. Food was not the problem, but I did not seem able to catch a ride. It took all morning to get from Ogden to just south of Provo. I caught several rides, all of the short nature. It seemed like no one was going to far from here. After my last ride, with a sweet angel who shared a roach with me, I was left at two lane road that headed east up into the mountains. For quite a while, no cars headed that direction. Across the road, a set of train tracks ran parallel to the highway. Soon a long train appeared led by three engines headed in my direction.
It crept on slow enough for me to ponder jumping aboard. Several minutes elapsed and there was no sight of the end of the train in either direction. That seemed to cinch it, since the engines were out of sight, no one would notice me getting on. I grabbed by pack, crossed the road and approached the slow moving beast. Quickly, I sized up that boarding could be accomplished by way of grabbing a ladder attached at the end of every box car. Positioning myself quite near the tracks, I practiced the motions necessary to accomplish a leap aboard. Getting aboard a train moving by even at a slow rate presents an imposing challenge. It seemed daunting and I spent quite a time, getting up the courage. Just below each ladder were the wheels, that obviously would grind up anything that fell off. Several open type cars that normally haul automobiles passed. They had no hand rails to climb up, but seemed like preferable choices to ride on since they were empty and offered shaded accommodations. The end of the train was still not in sight when I made the determined leap aboard.
I grabbed sure hold and quickly got myself pulled away from the wheels. No sooner had I secured my connection then the train came to a sure stop. Not knowing why it stopped, I took advantage and dismounted. I hurried ahead and climbed aboard one of the open type cars. As the train resumed its journey I settled back and enjoyed an avocado and Coors beer meal while enjoying the vista only available to train passengers climbing eastward into the Rocky Mountains. The sun was getting low in the sky when the train pulled into a yard in an obviously small town. Noticing several train workers in the yard, I decided to leave. I seemed to remember something about railroad bulls. I quickly got past the fence and sauntered up the main street of Helper, Utah. I walked out to the highway, looking for a place to spend the night. Before I found that, I finally got a ride that was planning on traveling a good distance. Rick, stopped and was glad I could help driving. He was intent on reaching Gainesville, GA in two days.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me, Part One

My photo
Rock Balancing: The Beginning. What began as a journal of my travels took a hiatus when I began to settle in Ithaca NY. In the meantime, I took up the practice of setting rocks to balance. I returned to my blog to begin recording this story

Part, The second

On Easter Sunday Morning, 2008, I made a decision to settle in the Ithaca New York area. At the same time, I decided to continue to post my blog, However, the stories now will come from the archive stored internally. These will be the stories I gathered while on previous journeys and never entrusted to paper. The date of each posting will not reflect the date of the story being related but will mark the date that narrative got inscribed.

Carry wood

Carry wood
33 years later

Part: The third

I took a brief hiatus from my daily blog writing. I did not know the direction it would take. part of me thought I would abandon it. It turns out I missed it. The old title "On the Road Again' is no longer apt. It appears I am settling. The travel stories will age to a point, when I will probably resusitiate them and do something with them. I dusted off some old stories and begin this new series.
Thr first is one was written two years ago. I edited it and begin again a series that is more apropos to someone settling in upper New York State. They are meant to warm, amuse, educate and sometimes inflame.